Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankful Day 8

About a month ago we got rid of our TV. We never watched much anyhow, and never got cable. Netflix is a great tool because we watch something when we want to for about 3/4 of the time it would take with commercial breaks. Also I am glad my daughter never has to watch all of those commercials aimed at children, making them want things they don't need. She has already learned letters, sequencing concepts, numbers, social concepts and a lot of animal facts from the shows we let her watch. This of course is in combination with preschool activities that we do together.

We also recently sold one of our older Macs and waited for the unveiling of the new iPad before making a purchase. We are glad we did because the iPad Mini is more suited for our needs. It is easier for my daughter to hold and is still a good size for interactive learning apps. So far she has been happy with two highly-rated learning games. Monkey Preschool Lunchbox teaches letters, spacial concepts, memory, shape recognition and more. Bugs and Buttons has 18 learning games including mazes, sorting, hand-eye coordination, spacial orientation, manipulation and more. She has so much fun learning and I have fun sitting with her, talking about what she is doing and experiencing it through her eyes.

Technology is a tool. I am thankful we have it and we enjoy it. The important thing is to remember its purpose and not overuse it. While I can troubleshoot a lot of things I am also thankful that my husband has a talent for technology and can solve almost anything that I cannot.

No comments: