Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Thankful Day 5

My first memories of cooking with my mom were when I was about 5 or 6 years old and she was having me coat some chicken with egg and then with breading. We were making fried chicken and she had me transfer the pieces of chicken with a fork. Then she would do the frying. She taught me most of what I know about cooking.

I feel very blessed to have learned how to cook from my mother. She taught me how to mix flavors in her Italian traditions. I learned to cook by sight and approximation more than recipes and measurements. Over the years I have learned how to experiment and tweak recipes in order to overcome some dietary challenges and my mother has always been a great support and sounding board for my experiments.

These days my (almost) 3 year old is learning how to roll dough, brush oil on pizza stones, pour and mix ingredients. She loves to help. As I share these experiences with her I can't help but reflect on what a happy experience it had been when I was a child learning from my own mother. It brings me great joy to pass this on to my daughter.

Brushing Oil on Pizza Stones



No comments: